best text editor for programming Python on a Mac

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 14:58:53 EDT 2016

On 06/19/2016 10:20 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> Yes the OP said he was using vim
> And he could not handle a unicode encoding issue

I missed that part! I somehow thought the unicode issues were coming
from his use of the built-in Mac text editor.

In any case, I have never had unicode problems with vim. It seems to
handle them just fine for me. I've never had a problem opening a UTF-8
file, using a unicode string literal, and running it in Python.

> I gave an emacs solution to the issue not because I find editor-wars engaging
> but because I dont know how to do *this* with vi.
> I'd be surprised if vi actually cant do these:
> 1. Look under the unicode-hood to peek at what a char is -- C-u C-x = in emacs

When the cursor is over character, do command "ga" and it will show you
the hex code for that character.

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Showing_the_ASCII_value_of_the_current_character

> 2. Change file encoding -- C-x RET f in emacs

Display current encoding:
:set fileencoding

Set encoding to UTF-8:
:set filenecoding=utf-8