best text editor for programming Python on a Mac

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 12:20:58 EDT 2016

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 6:49:55 PM UTC+5:30, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 06/19/2016 04:41 AM, Pete Forman wrote:
> > Both emacs and vim are powerful tools in the hands of experienced users
> > but I would recommend neither to someone starting out who is just
> > looking for a code-aware editor.
>
> In any case this doesn't matter here because the original poster already
> said he was using vim.  Sticking with vim is a fine choice.

In general I would agree with this line.
In this case...
Yes the OP said he was using vim
And he could not handle a unicode encoding issue
I gave an emacs solution to the issue not because I find editor-wars engaging
but because I dont know how to do *this* with vi.
I'd be surprised if vi actually cant do these:
1. Look under the unicode-hood to peek at what a char is -- C-u C-x = in emacs
2. Change file encoding -- C-x RET f in emacs

Please do suggest vi-ways of handling this -- that would be useful!