Multiline parsing of python compiler demistification needed

Jussi Piitulainen jussi.piitulainen at helsinki.fi
Thu Jun 16 04:50:21 EDT 2016

Yubin Ruan writes:

> Hi, everyone, I have some problem understand the rule which the python
> compiler use to parsing the multiline string.
>
> Consider this snippet:
>
> str_1 = "foo"
> str_2 = "bar"
>
> print "A test case" + \
>        "str_1[%s] " + \
>        "str_2[%s] " % (str_1, str_2)
>
> Why would the snippet above give me an "TypeError: not all arguments
> converted during string formatting" while the one below not ?
>
> print "A test case" + \
>        "str_1[%s] " % str1
>
> Obviously the first snippet have just one more line and one more
> argument to format than the second one. Isn't that unreasonable ? I
> couldn't find any clue about that. Anyone help ?

Multiline is irrelevant. What is happening is that % binds more tightly
(has a higher precedence) than +.

print "foo" + "bar %s" % "baz"
==> foobar baz

print "foo %s" + "bar %s" % ("baz", "baz")
==> Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

print ("foo %s" + "bar %s") % ("baz", "baz")
==> foo bazbar baz