for / while else doesn't make sense

Lawrence D’Oliveiro lawrencedo99 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 22:59:22 EDT 2016

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 2:32:00 AM UTC+12, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Here is C.A.R Hoare's Turing award speech:
> https://www.cs.fsu.edu/~engelen/courses/COP4610/hoare.pdf
>
> in which (2nd last page) he claims that Ada is a threat to civilization...
> because it has something as terrible as exceptions.

He was wrong about the dangers of Ada. It has been successfully used in many life-critical situations (e.g. the life support system on the International Space Station).

He was a fan of the simplicity of Pascal, though that speech says nothing about C (and C++ hadn’t been invented yet...). In the end, I guess, Pascal proved too fiddly to do things in that C could manage easily.