python regex: variable length of positive lookbehind assertion

Jussi Piitulainen jussi.piitulainen at helsinki.fi
Wed Jun 15 12:04:29 EDT 2016

alister writes:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 15:55:42 +0300, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
>
>> alister writes:

>>> don't try to use regex to parse html it wont work reliably i am
>>> surprised no one has mentioned beautifulsoup yet, which is probably
>>> what you require.
>>
>> Nothing in the question indicates that the data is HTML.
>
> the <a></a> tags are a prety good indicator though

I can see how they point that way, but to me that alone seemed pretty
weak.

> even if it is not HTML the same advise stands for XML (the quote
> example would be invalid if it was XML)

It's not valid HTML either, for similar reasons. Or is it? I don't even
want to know.

> if it is neither for these formats but still using a similar tag
> structure then I would say that Reg ex is still unsuitable & the OP
> would need to write a full parser for the format if one does not
> already exist

That depends on details that weren't provided.

I work with a data format that mixes element tags with line-oriented
data records, and having a dedicated parser would be more of a hassle. A
couple of very simple regexen are useful in making sure that start tags
have a valid form and extracting attribute-value pairs from them. I'm
not at all experiencing "two problems" here. Some uses of regex are
good. (And now I may be about to experience the third problem. That
makes me sad.)

Anyway, I think you and another person guessed correctly that the OP is
indeed really considering HTML, and then your suggestion is certainly
helpful.