Indentation example?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sun Jun 12 12:15:43 EDT 2016

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 11:10:39 AM UTC-4, ICT Ezy wrote:
> Pl explain with an example the following phase
> "Indentation cannot be split over multiple physical lines using backslashes; the whitespace up to the first backslash determines the indentation" (in 2.1.8. Indentation of Tutorial.)
> I want to teach my student that point using some examples.
> Pl help me any body?

For what it's worth, that sentence isn't in the tutorial, it's in the
reference manual, which has to mention all sorts of edge cases that most
people will likely never encounter.

I've never seen someone try to make indentation work in that way with a
backslash.  If I were you, I wouldn't mention it to your students, it might
just confuse them further.

--Ned.