for / while else doesn't make sense

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Jun 10 10:27:05 EDT 2016

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 12:00 am, Ian Kelly wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2016 6:37 AM, "Marko Rauhamaa" <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:

>> If your display can show 1,500 lines at once, that's your limit. Mine
>> shows 70.
>
> I disagree on that point. For a typical-size display, it's a reasonable
> guideline. But just because your 1500-line function fits in a single
> screen does not make it readable.

I disagree. I have a 2000 inch monitor, and by using a narrow proportional
font set to 5pt, I can display the entire Python standard library including
tests on screen at once. Then it's just a matter of using my trusty 4"
reflecting telescope to zoom in on any part of the screen I like. This is
much more convenient than opening a single file at a time, or using a
tabbed interface, it is much more efficient to just swivel the telescope
and jump to the correct part of the code, and it rarely takes me more than
ten or fifteen minutes to find it.

And I can read the code in perfect clarity, provided I don't nudge or touch
the telescope in any way, or breathe too hard. Apart from "rn" which tends
to look like an "m", and its a bit hard to tell the difference between 0
and 0 or 1 I and l, or S and 5, and to be honest periods and commas are
completely invisible, but that's a small price to pay for the extra
efficiency of having all 641 thousand lines of code on screen all at once.

--
Steven