I'm wrong or Will we fix the ducks limp?

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Thu Jun 9 08:48:03 EDT 2016

Op 09-06-16 om 14:25 schreef BartC:
> On 09/06/2016 12:08, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>> Op 09-06-16 om 12:48 schreef BartC:
>>>
>>> What does it matter?
>>>
>>> If swap() can be implemented via such a function, then it means that
>>> the language has such capability, which can be useful in different
>>> scenarios.
>>>
>>> If it can't, then the language hasn't.
>>>
>>> Python doesn't have it so it can't implement swap like that.
>>>
>>> There's no need to bring references into it at all.
>>
>> Whether a language can implement a swap procedure like that is
>> not the same question as whether the language variables are
>> references or not.
>
> Now /you're/ turning it around.
>
> I'm not interested in the internal references that Python currently
> uses. (I've called them /object references/.)
>
> I'm talking about a different kind of reference, possible /name
> references/, they would make possible new things ....

That you talk about something different, doesn't make others
wrong when they use the label "reference" for what they are
talking about.

If someone writes that variables in python are references or
reference variables, then there is an historical meaning for
the label "reference" that makes this statement true.

Protesting the statment because you think of something different
when you read "reference", just means you didn't understand
the original statement.