I'm wrong or Will we fix the ducks limp?

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed Jun 8 07:01:47 EDT 2016

Op 08-06-16 om 12:33 schreef BartC:
> On 08/06/2016 10:41, Antoon Pardon wrote:

>>> What you seem to be describing is similar to reference parameter
>>> semantics from
>>> Pascal. Assignment doesn't work that way in C, or Python.
>>
>> I disagree. In python the assignment does work similar to the
>> reference parameter
>> semantics in pascal. See the following
>>
>>   A = range[4]
>>   B = A
>>   B[2] = 5
>>   print A # [0, 1, 5, 2]
>
> (Did you mean range(4) and [0, 1, 5, 3]?)

Yes, sorry about that.

> But a 'proper' reference allows a complete replacement of what it
> refers to. That would mean being able to do:
>
>   B = "Cat"
>   print A     # "Cat"
>
> No tricks involving in-place updates such as assigning to list
> elements are needed.

No it doesn't mean that. It means that if you mutate the object through one variable,
you can see the result of that mutation through the other variable. But if the
assignment doesn't mutate, you can't have such effect through assignment.

In python, you can sometimes simulate a mutating assignment and then we get this.

    >>> A = [8, 5, 3, 2]
    >>> B = A
    >>> A
    [3, 5, 8, 13]