I'm wrong or Will we fix the ducks limp?

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed Jun 8 04:08:01 EDT 2016

Op 07-06-16 om 18:03 schreef Steven D'Aprano:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 10:32 pm, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>> That people often use the shortcut "x is 999" doesn't make the statement
>> wrong that variables are essentially references in Python.
> No, I'm sorry, you're wrong, variables are essentially arrays of bits in
> Python.

No they are not. The difference between variables as references and variables
as containers is an abstract notions that comes to light in the semantics
of the assignment, however these semantics are implemented.

Talking about arrays of bits is talking about a specific implementation. You
seem unable to think of a reference as an abstract model.

--
Antoon Pardon