for / while else doesn't make sense

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Tue Jun 7 20:31:48 EDT 2016

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 6:07:23 PM UTC-4, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 8:00:31 PM UTC+12, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> > I understand you are hurt when your code is criticized bluntly. However,
> > you *did* stick your head out.
>
> Don’t worry, I am not the thin-skinned type.
>
> > I, too, insist that every function/method must be visible at once in the
> > editor window.
>
> From subprocess.py in the Python 3.5 distribution:
>
>     if _mswindows:
>         #
>         # Windows methods
>         #
>         def _get_handles(self, stdin, stdout, stderr):
>             """Construct and return tuple with IO objects:
>
>             ... 8< snip 8< ...
>
>             errwrite = self._make_inheritable(errwrite)
>
>             return (p2cread, p2cwrite,
>                     c2pread, c2pwrite,
>                     errread, errwrite)
>
> Is that “visible at once” in your editor window?

Lawrence, Marko didn't write that function. Marko didn't claim that all
functions fit in a window, just that he wants his to.

Lawrence writes code in an unusual style, not a style I would write in,
but we aren't going to be able to change his mind.  It seems like this
discussion has gone beyond the productive stage.  We aren't going to
come to consensus on coding style.

--Ned.