I'm wrong or Will we fix the ducks limp?

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Jun 7 02:33:11 EDT 2016

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I think I'm on
> fairly solid ground to say that a language that is just like C except that
> it allocates variables in a hash table at runtime, using runtime lookups
> for variable access, would not satisfy the C89 or C99 standards.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Modern C standards are
pretty careful to avoid making any promises about how
things are laid out in memory, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me much if you could come up with
such an implementation that adheres to the strict letter
of the standard. It also wouldn't surprise me if that
implementation failed to run a large proportion of
real C code out there, though...

--
Greg