Operator precedence problem

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 12:51:52 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-06, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Your code should keep noise to the minimum.
>>
>> Sensible and beneficial comments aren't "noise".
>
> In that case, please never insult the intelligence of your future
> readers by including any of these parentheses:
>
> x = 1 + (2 * 3)
> value = 77 if (x % 2) else (70*7)

Just for the record, I don't have any problem at all with any of those
parens.  I don't think they're at all insulting, they don't slow down
comprehension, and they make clear the intent of the writer.  I'm not
sure I would include all of them if _I_ were writing the code, but in
this specific example, I think they're fine.

That said, I have seen lots of cases where fully parenthising an
expression would harm readability...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! My nose feels like a
                                  at               bad Ronald Reagan movie ...