Don't put your software in the public domain

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jun 4 15:12:07 EDT 2016

On 6/4/2016 4:24 AM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Paul Rudin <paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk>:
>
>> Don't confuse consideration with agreement - they're seperate legal
>> concepts.
>>
>> Agreement is certainly necessary in pretty much all jurisdictions.
>> Consideration is required in most common law jurisdiction (England,
>> the US, most of the commonwealth) but not in many continental legal
>> systems.
>
> Thankfully, I live in a jurisdiction where things are simpler. I've
> actually successfully represented a relative in a court of law without
> any legal training.
>
> In Finland, it is common for families to have a printed copy of the law
> on the bookshelf.

How wonderful that 'the law' can fit in a book.  English-speaking common
law commentaries once had Blackstone's 4 volume Commentaries
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blackstone#Commentaries_on_the_Laws_of_England),
but bookshelve of statute laws seem to have overwhelmed that, at least
in the US.

 > Families traditionally sort out things like
> inheritances without the involvement of lawyers. Nowadays, the law is
> available online, of course.

For free, I presume.  I just discovered that the Delaware Code is now
online http://delcode.delaware.gov/index.shtml.

--
Terry Jan Reedy