Multiple inheritance, super() and changing signature

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 17:53:58 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> If you're writing a custom initialiser that handles two additional
> parameters, then those parameters should not be present when you call
> the super() method's initialiser::
>
>     # You specified Python 3, which allows simpler syntax.
>
>     class LoremIpsum:
>         def __init__(self, spam, *args, **kwargs):
>             do_something_important_with(spam)
>             super().__init__(*args, **kwargs)
>
>     class DolorSitAmet(LoremIpsum):
>         def __init__(self, spam, eggs=4, beans=None, *args, **kwargs):
>             self.eggs = eggs
>             self.beans = beans
>             super().__init__(spam, *args, **kwargs)

Except that since we're discussing design for multiple inheritance,
the positional argument "spam" is inappropriate. All arguments should
be passed by keyword; the DolorSitAmet.__init__ method cannot be
certain that LoremIpsum will be the next class in the MRO, and the
actual next class might not expect spam to be the first positional
argument.