Recommendation for GUI lib?

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Thu Jun 2 17:57:22 EDT 2016

On 02.06.2016 12:35, John Pote wrote:
> I've used wxPython (www.wxpython.org) for a few GUI projects and found
> it ok. It's a wrapper for the wxWidgets C++ library. There's even a
> reasonable free GUI builder, wxGlade, which I use as I prefer
> constructing GUI's that way rather than writing raw wxPython code.
> Never tried any of the paid for GUI builders.
> Disadvantage is the download page only provides builds for Python 2.6
> or 2.7.
>
> Does anyone know how Project Phoenix is coming on?
> http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/ItsAlive/ shows wxPython working with
> Python 3.2.
> Comments on how stable it is and how easy to install would be helpful.
I have been using Phoenix now for half a year and are very happy with
it. A release is on its way. For most platforms there are snapshot
builds which are easy to install.

See e.g.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/wxpython-users/soHFLOrerVs/MSijBTQ6KAAJ

The snapshot installation does not include the demo and the .chm help
file (yet?). These and the book I found to be the most helpful resources
(much more usable than online reference documentation as e.g. with Qt).

I think that wxGlade is the most promising Python GUI builder and I'm
confident that it will see improvements to increase usability. I have
tried some others from time to time, including also QtCreator, but none
was really convincing.

Regards,

Dietmar