Python on Windows with linux environment

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 14:03:34 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
> On 6/2/2016 12:38 PM, Wildman via Python-list wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 04:22:45 -0700, Muhammad Ali wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I use windows regularly, however, I use linux for only my research work at supercomputer. In my research field (materials science) most of the scripts are being written in python with linux based system. Could I installed such linux based python on my window 7? So that I can use those linux based scripts written in python and I can also write my own scripts/code without entirely changing my operating system from windows to linux.
>>>
>>> Looking for your valuable suggestions.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>> There is coLinux and andLinux.
>
> those are both mostly dead (it seems).  I went the cygwin route.  still
> sucks but a bit less than straight windows.
>
> --

Although the OP is using Windows 7, according to recent articles,
Ubuntu is teaming with MS for Windows 10 to include a bash shell,
presumably with the package management of Ubuntu (debian), with pip
goodness and virtualenv and virtualenvwrapper.  That route should make
W10 and linux (ubuntu) nearly identical environments to deal with

--
Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com/blog