Python on Windows with linux environment

Marc Brooks marcwbrooks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 10:10:43 EDT 2016

Others have mentioned Cygwin or the new subsystem.  The other two options a
number of Python develops that I work use are to (1) install
vmware/virtualbox and run linux in a vm or (2) install the packaged
binaries, such as Anaconda from Continuum Analytics.

One issue I had when using cygwin was that it was sometimes a bit more
annoying to get libraries installed, since it couldn't use any pre-compiled
binaries for Windows.  I don't know if that's still the case, since this
was a few years back and I'm doing my dev work on a mac nowadays.

Marc