Efficient handling of fast, real-time hex data

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 2 04:13:51 EDT 2016

On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 18:50:34 +1200, Gregory Ewing wrote:

> jladasky at itu.edu wrote:
>> One common data transmission error I've seen in other systems is
>> added/dropped bytes. I may add a CRC-8 error-checking byte in place of
>> the newline.
>
> Also maybe add a start byte with a known value at the beginning of each
> packet to help resynchronise if you get out of step.

No maybe about it
if you are sending a binary stream you need to be able to reliably signal
the start AND finish of the data stream (either send the length in the
message start or have a fixed msg. length)

after a lot of experimenting to ensure reliability you will probably have
reinvented something like intelhex or x-modem

--
The work [of software development] is becoming far easier (i.e. the tools
we're using work at a higher level, more removed from machine, peripheral