Why not allow empty code blocks?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 21:10:17 EDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>> Yes, and we didn't have Python then. When I had a computer with 640KB
>> of memory, my options were (1) BASIC or (2) 8086 assembly language,
>> using DEBUG.EXE and its mini-assembler. Later on (much much later), I
>> added C to the available languages, but it was tedious and annoying,
>> because one tiny change meant minutes of compilation.
>
> 1. check this out: http://prog21.dadgum.com/116.html

Judge him by his size, do you?

But out of 20MB, I easily had *space* for a compiler. The problem was
compilation time. I could mess around in BASIC with reasonable
turnaround times; I could mess around in DEBUG with excellent
turnaround times. Doing even the tiniest work in C meant delays long
enough to go do something else.

How times have changed.

ChrisA