Why not allow empty code blocks?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sun Jul 31 04:18:51 EDT 2016

Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> writes:

> Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>:
>> If Forth had come out of a computer science department and Lisp had
>> been invented by an astronomer, Lisp would still be the easier
>> language to use.
>
> It is quite astounding how Lisp is steadily being reinvented by the
> down-to-earth programming community.

    "With a few very basic principles at its foundation, it [LISP] has
    shown a remarkable stability. Besides that, LISP has been the
    carrier for a considerable number of in a sense our most
    sophisticated computer applications. LISP has jokingly been
    described as “the most intelligent way to misuse a computer”. I
    think that description a great compliment because it transmits the
    full flavour of liberation: it has assisted a number of our most
    gifted fellow humans in thinking previously impossible
    thoughts."  -- E. W. Dijkstra, 1972 Turing Award lecture

    Greenspun's tenth rule of programming is an aphorism in computer
    programming and especially programming language circles that
    states:
        "Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad
        hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of
        half of Common Lisp".
            -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenspun%27s_tenth_rule