python and open office

Crane Ugly vostrushka at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 12:28:50 EDT 2016

I try to create some scripts that will help me to open and manipulate OpenOffice documents. Calc in particular. But I have some problems finding right packages or libraries that offer such interface.
So far I was trying uno and unotools but the first step is to import them failed. Here is the output:

UNO tools are installed:
$ pip list | grep uno
uno (0.3.3)
unotools (0.3.3)

Try to import them:
$ python
Python 2.7.12 (default, Jun 29 2016, 12:53:15)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.1.0 (clang-602.0.53)] on darwin
>>> import uno
>>> import unotools
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Volumes/home/lshanin/Dropbox/Python/ve/accounting/lib/python2.7/site-packages/unotools/__init__.py", line 16
    def __init__(self, name: str):
                           ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I would appreciate is somebody help me to find what is wrong with untools package.
Or point me to some other available libraries. I expect to work with OpenOffice (LibreOffice) files only not with MS Excel files.

Regards
Leonid