What exactly is "exact" (was Clean Singleton Docstrings)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Jul 19 01:22:55 EDT 2016

On Monday 18 July 2016 23:16:32 Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 10:36 am, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > I recollect — school physics textbook so sorry no link —
> > that in the Newton gravitation law
> > f = -GMm/r²
> >
> > there was a discussion about the exponent of r ie  2
> > And that to some 6 decimal places it had been verified that it was
> > actually 2.000002
>
> Because gravitational forces are so weak, it is very difficult to
> experimentally distinguish (say) an exponent of 1.999999 from 2.000002
> from 2 exactly.
>
> Most physicists would say that an experimental result of 2.000002 is
> pretty good confirmation that the theoretical power of 2 is correct.
> Only a very few would think that the experiment was evidence that both
> Newtonian and Einsteinian gravitational theory is incorrect.
>
> (Newton, for obvious reasons; but also general relativity, since
> Newton's law can be derived from the "low mass/large distance" case of
> general relativity.)
>
> But it's an interesting hypothetical: what if the power wasn't 2
> exactly?

I do not believe it is. The theory of relativity says that the faster you
are going, the more massive you become.  Ergo the rate of the
acceleration will decrease as the mass builds up.   But the speeds most
of us deal with are so close to at rest that we do not realize in the
everyday world around us, that this does apply at the speeds you throw
that ball while juggling 3 of them.  The effect is quite minimal at our
everyday speeds, but there is not a set point where it kicks in, its
always there.  Its just that the difference at everyday speeds, is
likely a few hundred digits to the right of the decimal point.

Now, trade those 1 lb balls in on a few quintillion electrons, enough to
account for 5.3 amps of current thru a klystron amplifier tube, and the
acceleration voltage speeding the electrons along is 20,000 volts.  That
beam of electrons is trucking right along at a measurable fraction of c
speed.  Its also dumping something more than 100KW into the cooling
water flowing thru the bottom of the tube where the beam lands and is
absorbed.

This amplifier does not operate by varying the current like a normal
vacuum tube, it constant current. It is a capacitatively driven tube,
and the power comes back out by being capacitatively coupled from the
electron beam.

How many of you can remember the audio buzz in the UHF channels tv sound
20 years ago?

So I am going to tell you how that buzz became part of the UHF landscape
for so many years, so bear with me as I have a story to tell.

This klystron amplifier, a new one of which was north of $125,000 in the
1970's when I learned about them, is a long tube, around 5 feet long
with alternating sections of copper tubeing and ceramic insulators
separating the copper sections. Typically 4 ceramic sections, each of
which was sealed to a section of copper equiped with contact rings on
each end of the copper sections. A tunable box cavity connected the
copper sections together, bridging the ceramic spacer, so that when the
tube was "dressed" with these cavity's, and lowered into its focusing
magnet, (2200 lbs) you could feed about 1 watt of signal into the top
cavity, which either retarded the velocity of the beam slightly, or
accellerated it a bit. The beam then passed out of that cavity and on
into the next one, tuned a couple megahertz lower, then passed thru the
third cavity normally tuned about 4.2 megahertz higher.  Each cavity it
passed thru reinforced this small velocity change until one could
visualize the electrons traveling in little balls by the time it enters
the last cavity, and this cavity has a coupling loop to extract the
amplified signal, 30 kilowatts of it, all because that last cavity is
ringing  like a bell because of the capacitative coupling between these
bunched up electrons and the cavity.

The buzz that was so annoying is directly related to the relativistic
effects being modified by the video signal. The electrons gain more mass
as they speed up, so the speed up does not match the slowdown because
they lose mass thereby slowing more, so the net effect is that the tube
gets longer at the high power levels of the synch signal, inventing an
FM signal that is not there in the drive.

Then, since most tv transmitters before digital were actually two
transmitters, one for the video, and one for the audio, and the audio
ran at a constant power level since it was an FM signal, so the aural
was not similarly effected.  The old tv's also used the difference
frequency, here in the US of 4.5 megahertz as their aural detection
system.  So this FM component to the visual became mixed with the
unaffected audio, injecting this darned buzz into the audio IN your tv.

And relativity, in the form of e=mv2 was the culprit.  Not even the FCC
had that figured out.

I had that pointed out to me by a blown water pump breaker, and the lack
of cooling water blew the bottom out of the collector bucket on the
visual tube. About 50 milliseconds after the pump went locked rotor from
the phase failure.  After replacing the breaker, I wheeled the aural
tube out of its cubicle and put it into the visual transmitter and tuned
it up for picture service, old tube, got about 80% power out of it.
Then I rigged a cable of aural drive over to the visual and fed about
100 milliwatts of aural drive just to get back on the air while Varian
was building me a new klystron which takes several weeks.  At home that
night, checking to see if the viewers might notice, the pix looked ok
but something told me to crank up the sound. Zero buzz, because both
signals were being amplified in the same tube, and subjected to
identical amounts of this distortion, there was no difference to be
detected in the tv itself.  The distortion was absolutely in lock step
and totally inaudible to the tv's.  With both tubes running normally,
that buzz was only down about 53db at best.

So relativity applies, even to the baseball being thrown by a little
leager.  We just do not have the precision to measure it when the effect
is hundreds of digits to the right of the decimal point.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)