Were is a great place to Share your finished projects?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 09:03:14 EDT 2016

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 10:42:01 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:42 PM, Ben Finney  wrote:
> > Chris Angelico writes:

> >> Exactly how important? Not so important as to stop slabs of Python
> >> from migrating to GitHub, including its pull request system.
> >
> > I maintain that it is important enough to stop that.
> >
> > The migration happened anyway, because not everyone is convinced of the
> > importance of avoiding vendor lock-in of valuable data, over criteria
> > such as “this person happens to like Vendor-locked Solution Foo”.
> >

> Fine. You're welcome to take a 100% philosophical stance; I applaud
> you for it. (I understand Richard Stallman is so adamant about not
> using *any* non-free code - software or firmware - that he restricts
> himself to a tiny selection of laptops that have free BIOSes.)
> Personally, I believe practicality beats purity in computing
> philosophy as well as API design, and I'll happily let GitHub carry my
> software. What's the worst that can happen? I have to switch to
> somewhere else, and I lose the issue tracker and pull requests. In the
> case of CPython, they wouldn't even be lost - they're (to be) backed
> up. In the meantime, I'm on a well-polished platform with a large
> number of users. The same cannot be said for *many* other hosts, even
> if they do use exclusively free software.
>
> ChrisA

Speaking of notable figure(heads) its good to compare Stallman (rms) and
Torvalds.

rms started working on the gnu-system before Torvalds
He did more work on that
He was (and likely is) a more capable programmer

Note further that Torvalds was told off by prof. Tanenbaum for his poor quality
unimaginative approach to Linux

Torvalds still gets the Lion's share of the credit – how many people say
“GNU-Linux distros” rather than just plain “Linux”?

I’d say this is directly related to his choosing practicality over purity
He didn’t change the obsolete (so-called) Unix API
He didn’t redesign the OS along the lines fashionable to guys like Tanenbaum

He just found himself at the right place at the right time — holding a
protection capable home PC. And beat IBM and Microsoft at producing a kernel for that.

No I am not saying that the fears of Ben and Steven are unfounded
Just that we may have other battles to fight

And other heroes to cheer, eg
http://www.trueactivist.com/muslim-man-hugs-isis-suicide-bomber-saves-hundreds-of-lives-in-iraq/