Compression of random binary data

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Jul 13 08:13:37 EDT 2016

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 08:04 pm, jonas.thornvall at gmail.com wrote:

> Ok, try to see it this way ****very big**** numbers can be described as
> the sum or difference between a sequense of a few polynomials.

*Any* number, big or small, can be given as the sum or difference of a few
polynomials:

15 = (25*x**2 - 2*x + 40) - (25*x**2 - 2*x + 25)

But... why am I wasting my time with the x**2 and x terms? They must
*always* cancel, because I'm trying to simplify to a constant. So I should
just write:

15 = 40 - 25

but that's a waste of time to. I should just write:

15

and be done. The same applies for any number, no matter how big.

> Unfortunately we lack the computational skill/computing power to find
> them.
>
> That is not the case using foldings/geometric series.

You still haven't explained how you are supposed to compress 10**100
possible inputs to just 10**6 outputs without any loss of information.

--
Steven
enough, things got worse.