Were is a great place to Share your finished projects?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jul 12 21:28:38 EDT 2016

Christian Gollwitzer <auriocus at gmx.de> writes:

> Am 01.07.16 um 03:38 schrieb Ben Finney:
> > If one wants to avoid vendor lock-in, Github is not best: the
> > workflow tools (other than Git itself) are completely closed and not
> > available for implementation on another vendor's servers.
>
> Yes, but that is relevant only if the workflow (i.e. pull requests)

Pull requests. Code review. Issues. Integration with other services. All
the social information around all of those interactions, and more.

If *any* of that is valuable, then yes it's important that it not be
locked to any one vendor.

If *none* of that is valuable, then why prefer GitHub? Clearly people do
find those quite valuable, and it is disingenuous to pretend that the
code is the only valuable thing in a Github repository.

--
 \     “The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is |
  `\       required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long |