Compression of random binary data

jonas.thornvall at gmail.com jonas.thornvall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:46:29 EDT 2016

Den tisdag 12 juli 2016 kl. 17:19:54 UTC+2 skrev Steven D'Aprano:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:29 am, jonas.thornvall at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Den tisdag 12 juli 2016 kl. 05:01:20 UTC+2 skrev Lawrence D’Oliveiro:

> >> Try compressing already-compressed data.
> >>
> >> Does that answer your question?
> >
> > Yes that is my question, and also a claim i can do it.
>
> Can you also make a perpetual motion machine, square the circle, and find an
> exact rational fraction equal to pi?
>

> What gets me is the people who *say* that they can compress already
> compressed data. We know they can't, because if they could, they could
> compress it again and again and again and again until there was only a
> single bit, AND STILL REVERSE IT, using no external storage. Your lookup
> tables are part of the compressed data. If the "compressed file" plus the
> lookup table is bigger than the original file, then you haven't really
> compressed anything. You've just moved some of it from the file into a
> lookup table.
>
> So why do people claim that they can compress already compressed data? Who
> are they fooling? Themselves?
>

> --
> Steve

Well the algorithm start with looking up a suitable folding structure "close enough to the number", then it works down the folding structure finding the fold where the difference or sum between the folds closest to zero.

You do the same prinicple with the remainder until zero is achieved.

So our first fold can either be bigger or smaller, and it seek a configuration for the fold that close in max on the actual random number. The second fold could be a fold that depending upon our first fold was bigger or smaller than number either will add or subtract lower layers of the fold.

There will come out a difference that need to be folded, the process is repeated until there is nothing to fold.

It is basicly a search algorithm looking for suitable folding structures.