Quick poll: gmean or geometric_mean

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 10:29:46 EDT 2016

On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 3:39:02 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 07:24 pm, Michael Selik wrote:

> >> In all the stats books and references I've seen, μ is always the
> >> population mean (implicitly the arithmetic mean). When discussing the
> >> different kinds of mean, A, G and H are used for arithmetic, geometric
> >> and harmonic means. (Other means are rarely discussed.)
> >>
> >> I don't think I've ever seen gµ or hµ. They're sort of backwards... I'd
> >> expect µ subscript-g or subscript-h, not the other way.
> >>

> > I'm glad you brought up textbooks as it reminded me to say that most
> > scientific software is still struggling to shake off the legacy of
> > abbreviation.
> >
> > Now even the basic IPython shell has autocomplete :-)
>
> Not all shells or editors are IPython, and not all abbreviations are bad.
> Would you rather print, or
> write_values_as_strings_to_the_predefined_standard_output_file?
>
> :-)

Newton's law F = -Gm₁m₂/r²

Better seen in its normal math form:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_law_of_universal_gravitation#Modern_form

De-abbreviated

Force is given by the negative of the universal_gravitational_constant times
the mass_of_first_body times mass_of_second_body divided by the square of the distance_between_the_bodies

Cobol anyone?

Ok with typical python naming

Force = (universal_gravitational_constant * mass_of_first_body * mass_of_second_body) / (distance_between_the_bodies*distance_between_the_bodies)