Quick poll: gmean or geometric_mean

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Jul 10 04:51:04 EDT 2016

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 05:28 pm, Rustom Mody wrote:

> From fuzzy memory of sitting in statistics classes decades ago
> filled with μ-σ etc I'd suggest μ gμ hμ

In all the stats books and references I've seen, μ is always the population
mean (implicitly the arithmetic mean). When discussing the different kinds
of mean, A, G and H are used for arithmetic, geometric and harmonic means.
(Other means are rarely discussed.)

I don't think I've ever seen gµ or hµ. They're sort of backwards... I'd
expect µ subscript-g or subscript-h, not the other way.

--
Steven
enough, things got worse.