Clean Singleton Docstrings

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jul 7 22:53:41 EDT 2016

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 09:46 am, Rob Gaddi wrote:
[...]

> So Registry is now a globally accessible mutable object; no reason to
> complicate things with singletons or borgs or whathave you. From
> within the interactive console, help(foobar.Registry) gives me the
> _Registry documentation as expected.
>
> From the (Linux) command line though:
>   $ pydoc3 foobar._Registry
>     [lots of good documentation stuff]
>   $ pydoc3 foobar.Registry
>   no Python documentation found for 'foobar.Registry'
>
> Is this a thing that can be fixed with a commensurate amount of effort?

[steve at ando ~]$ python3 -m pydoc --help
pydoc - the Python documentation tool

pydoc <name> ...
    Show text documentation on something.  <name> may be the name of a
    Python keyword, topic, function, module, or package, or a dotted
    reference to A CLASS OR FUNCTION within a module [...]

(Emphasis added.)

So, no, reading the docstrings from individual objects is not supported by
pydoc's command line interface. You could possibly add that functionality,
but I don't know how much effort it would be.

--
Steven
enough, things got worse.