Structure of program development

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 22:32:10 EDT 2016

On 07/04/2016 01:50 PM, BartC wrote:
> On 04/07/2016 17:55, Chris Warrick wrote:
>
>>> A second question of the basic design. If I write a program, can I move it to a computer that is without any Python software, or does that machine have to download the Python software? Does Python products contain all parts of a developed program or is it a series of 'call' statements?
>>
>> You must either install a Python interpreter on that machine, or
>> distribute one with your program.
>
> If only it was that simple. My Windows Python 3.4 installation comprises
> 5200 files over 1300 directories, totalling 100MB.
>
> Other Pythons are a bit smaller, so I don't know what extras that
> includes. Which is part of the problem: you have to employ yet more
> extras to figure out the files needed to create a tidy distribution.
>
> However the Linuxes I've seen tend to have Python pre-installed. Then
> you can just supply the .py files of the application.

There are various packagers out there that can wrap up your python
script with the interpreter and any library files necessary to run it.
I would bet the result is far less than 100 MB.  I'm sure you could
develop a python application that would use all 100 MB of the files that
comprise the standard library and the helper libraries if you really tried.

I'm not up to date on the latest packagers, but I know at one time folks
used py2exe, and some used cx_freeze.