Structure of program development

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Mon Jul 4 15:50:58 EDT 2016

On 04/07/2016 17:55, Chris Warrick wrote:

>> A second question of the basic design. If I write a program, can I move it to a computer that is without any Python software, or does that machine have to download the Python software? Does Python products contain all parts of a developed program or is it a series of 'call' statements?
>
> You must either install a Python interpreter on that machine, or
> distribute one with your program.

If only it was that simple. My Windows Python 3.4 installation comprises
5200 files over 1300 directories, totalling 100MB.

Other Pythons are a bit smaller, so I don't know what extras that
includes. Which is part of the problem: you have to employ yet more
extras to figure out the files needed to create a tidy distribution.

However the Linuxes I've seen tend to have Python pre-installed. Then
you can just supply the .py files of the application.

--
Bartc