Well, I finally ran into a Python Unicode problem, sort of

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Mon Jul 4 12:16:56 EDT 2016

On 04/07/2016 15:46, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 10:36:54 AM UTC-4, BartC wrote:
>> On 04/07/2016 13:47, Ned Batchelder wrote:

>>> This is a huge change.
>>
>> I've used a kind of 'weak' import scheme elsewhere, corresponding to C's
>> '#include'.

>> I think that could work in Python provided whatever is defined can
>> tolerate having copies redefined in each module that includes the same
>> file. Anything that is defined once and is never assigned to nor
>> modified for example.
>
> You are hand-waving over huge details of semantics that are very important
> in Python.  For example, it is very important not to have copies of
> classes.  Importing a module must produce the same module object
> everywhere it is imported, and the classes defined in the module must
> be defined only once.

So that would be something that doesn't tolerate copies.

But I think that a bigger change for Python wouldn't be new ways of
doing imports, but the concept of having a user-defined anything that is
a constant at compile-time. And not part of a conditional statement either.

Usually anything that is defined can be changed at run-time so that the
compiler can never assume anything.

--
Bartc