Well, I finally ran into a Python Unicode problem, sort of

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 11:14:00 EDT 2016

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> Lawrence D’Oliveiro <lawrencedo99 at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 7:27:04 PM UTC+12, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, I don't think even π should be used in identifiers.
>>
>> Why not?
>
> 1. It can't be typed easily.
>
> 2. It can look like an n.
>
> 3. Single-character identifiers should not be promoted, especially with
>    a global scope.

None of these is a language-level concern. You can't type it? That's
your problem - and you can choose not to use it. But Python lets you,
if you want to. Remember, some people speak Greek natively, and for
those people, typing Greek text is as natural as typing Latin text is
for us. Similarly, Cyrillic text is the most natural language for
Russian speakers. Why should Python block them?

Your other concerns might be a case for linters, but definitely not
the language.

ChrisA