Well, I finally ran into a Python Unicode problem, sort of

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Sun Jul 3 07:50:35 EDT 2016

On 03/07/2016 12:01, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Alain Ketterlin <alain at universite-de-strasbourg.fr.invalid>:
>
>> It would be very confusing to have a variable named ∇f, as confusing
>> as naming a variable a+b or √x.
>
> Scheme allows *any* characters whatsoever in identifiers.

I think it's one of those languages that has already dispensed with most
syntax anyway. Including distinctions between names and symbols.

Some people think that extra syntax rules including enforcing such
distinctions and having restrictions can improve readability. Otherwise
you can be looking at:

   a b c d e f g h

(not Scheme) and wondering which are names and which are operators.

--
Bartc