Were is a great place to Share your finished projects?

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Fri Jul 1 01:41:27 EDT 2016

Am 01.07.16 um 03:38 schrieb Ben Finney:
> Christian Gollwitzer <auriocus at gmx.de> writes:
>
>> The best place these days to publish software is on github.
>
> For what value of “best”?

The question was about visibility of a project for a single beginner
developer.

> If one wants to avoid vendor lock-in, Github is not best: the workflow
> tools (other than Git itself) are completely closed and not available
> for implementation on another vendor's servers.

Yes, but that is relevant only if the workflow (i.e. pull requests) are
an important part of the history. The code history is just git and that
is independent from github. For projects which rely on a single
developer, there is no issue. Additionally I wanted to point out that
"finishing" a project is the wrong idea, at least in open source terms.

> If one wants to communicate equally with Git repositories elsewhere,
> GitHub is not best: federation between hosts is actively discouraged by
> the lock-in.

I don't understand what that means. I can git pull my local repo from
somewhere else and then git push it to github. What do you mean by
federation between hosts?

> If one wants to teach newcomers with tools that will still be working
> even when GitHub goes out of business, GitHub is not best.

? git will not stop working

> If one wants to grow software freedom, Github is not best
> <URL:https://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html>.
>
> Convenience is not a reliable measure of how good something is, so it is
> not the best measure of “best”.

Then please propose an alternative instead of just arguing. Make sure
you try to understand the OPs objectives and background.

	Christian