psss...I want to move from Perl to Python

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:45:24 EST 2016

On 01/31/2016 03:34 PM, Fillmore wrote:
> On 01/30/2016 05:26 AM, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> Python 2 vs python 3 is anything but "solved".
>>

>> Python 3.5.1 is still suffering from the same buggy
>> behaviour as in Python 3.0 .
> Can you elaborate?

Sad to say jmf is a long-time troll on this list who seems to thinks he
understands Unicode better than he does.  We've been round and round
with him on this list over his issues and he's since been banned from
the email part of this list, but still spams the Usenet side from time
to time. If you're using NNTP, just add him to your kill file or block list.

There's nothing to elaborate on.  Python 3.5's integrated handling of
unicode is the best I've seen in any language.  It just works and you
don't need to worry about it (unlike most other languages), other than
to remember that anytime you take bytes into the program (say from a
file) they must be "decoded" into unicode, and whenever you write bytes
out (say to a file or socket) unicode strings must be "encoded" to a
desired byte encoding, such as UTF-8.  Python's in-memory representation
of unicode strings is correct (unlike Python 2.7, which had UCS-2 narrow
builds that can't handle non-BLM code points) for all unicode codepoints.