psss...I want to move from Perl to Python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Jan 30 20:56:51 EST 2016

On Sunday 31 January 2016 09:18, Gregory Ewing wrote:

> Rustom Mody wrote:
>> 1. One can use string-re's instead of compiled re's
>
> And I gather that string REs are compiled on first use and
> cached, so you don't lose much by using them most of the
> time.

Correct. The re module keeps a cache of the last N regexes used, for some
value of N (possibly 10?) so for casual use there's no real point to pre-
compiling other than fussiness.

But if you have an application that makes heavy-duty use of regexes, e.g.
some sort of parser with dozens of distinct regexes, you might not want to
rely on the cache.

--
Steve