Heap Implementation

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Sat Jan 30 17:47:31 EST 2016

Hi again,

as the topic of the old thread actually was fully discussed, I dare to
open a new one.

I finally managed to finish my heap implementation. You can find it at
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/xheap + https://github.com/srkunze/xheap.

I described my motivations and design decisions at
http://srkunze.blogspot.com/2016/01/fast-object-oriented-heap-implementation.html

@Cem
You've been worried about a C implementation. I can assure you that I
did not intend to rewrite the incredibly fast and well-tested heapq
implementation. I just re-used it.

I would really be grateful for your feedback as you have first-hand
experience with heaps.

@srinivas
You might want to have a look at the removal implementation. Do you
think it would be wiser/faster to switch for the sweeping approach?

I plan to publish some benchmarks to compare heapq and xheap.

@all
What's the best/standardized tool in Python to perform benchmarking?
Right now, I use a self-made combo of unittest.TestCase and time.time +
proper formatting.

Best,
Sven

PS: fixing some weird typos and added missing part.