psss...I want to move from Perl to Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jan 29 22:08:01 EST 2016

On 1/29/2016 3:51 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 7:42 AM, Fillmore <fillmore_remove at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> - Is there a good IDE that can be used for debugging? all free IDEs for Perl
>> suck and it would be awesome if Python was better than that.
>>

> Debugging Python code is generally easy enough without an IDE; any
> time something goes wrong, you get an exception with a very pretty
> traceback. That's usually enough on its own. A little bit of editor
> integration can help you jump to the lines mentioned, in the same way
> that you might get that with C compiler errors; that's all I've ever
> needed.

When one runs code from an IDLE editor, output and exceptions go to the
IDLE Shell.  Right click on a traceback line and select 'Go to
file/line' and IDLE will display the file in an IDLE editor (opening it
if necessary) and put the cursor on the proper line.  (It does the same
with grep output.)

--
Terry Jan Reedy