psss...I want to move from Perl to Python

Josef Pktd josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 19:48:17 EST 2016

On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 4:50:25 PM UTC-5, Cody Piersall wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 2:42 PM, Fillmore <fillmore >
> wrote:
> > I actually have a few followup question.
>
> > - will iNotebook also work in Python 3?
> Yes!  And just FYI, it's called they Jupyter Notebook now, but pretty much
> everyone still (colloquially) calls it the IPython Notebook so you're in
> good company.  When you're searching online, you should search for Jupyter
> though, or you might get obsolete docs.
>
> > - What version of Python 3 do you recommend I install on Windows?
> Might as well go for Python 3.5.
>
> > [snip questions I don't know the answer to]
> > - Is there a good IDE that can be used for debugging? all free IDEs for
> Perl suck and it would be awesome if Python was better than that.
> PyCharm is a really good IDE.  You can use the community edition for free
> as long as it's for open source projects or your company makes less than $1
> million a year.  For bigger projects I use PyCharm, but it's not bad to use
> just a plain text editor either.  If your company is making $1 million a
> year, presumably they can afford the license fees.  Download link:
> https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/download/

spyder is great for developing scripts (especially data analysis and scientific)
pydev/eclipse is very good for larger packages or projects.

Great features: automatic, immediate code checking for finding those typos, undefined names and unused names, and similar  (look out for red)
(and of course code completion, nicer than in IDLE)

Another very useful tool for me during bug hunting sessions is to drop into the debugger when running nosetests.

In my experience notebooks are for when I know what I'm doing and want a nice summary or presentation, but not when I need to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing.

Josef