import locale and print range on same line

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 03:00:34 EST 2016

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 8:45 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 12:45 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
>> wrote:
>>> [steve at ando ~]$ python -c "for i in range(5):

>>> hello world
>>> hello world
>>> hello world
>>> hello world
>>> hello world
>>> [steve at ando ~]$
>>
>> Well, not everyone's shells are as awesome as bash...
>
> Like Windows command prompt is not.  I tried:
>
> C:\Users\Terry>python -c "for i in range(5):\n\tprint('hello world')"
>   File "<string>", line 1
>     for i in range(5):\n  print('hello world')
>                                              ^
> SyntaxError: unexpected character after line continuation character

cmd's parsing can be inscrutably finicky and limited, but luckily
enough this example works:

    C:\>py -2 -c ^
    More? "def f(n):^
    More?
    More?     for i in range(n):^
    More?
    More?         print 'hello world'^
    More?
    More? f(5)
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world

cmd prints the "More?" prompt when a line is continued. Note that it's
necessary to hit enter again after escaping the first enter. Also, as
is usual with cmd, the closing double quote is optional, so I omitted
it after f(5).