Install Numba on Debian

Dave Farrance df at see.replyto.invalid
Sat Jan 23 16:00:25 EST 2016

Dave Farrance <df at see.replyto.invalid> wrote:

>I'd like to install Numba on Debian Jessie to work with the system
>Python 2.7.9 (rather than installing Anaconda).

OK, never mind. Fixed.

By Googling the first error code, finding a suggested fix for that,
running again, Googling the new error, and several repeats of that, and
I've now got a working solution.

This recipe that somebody put on Github overcomes the main hurdle:
https://gist.github.com/sshillo/62955e46cb05e2b47ad3

The main issue seems to be that contrary to the instructions on the
Numba website, it's now a requirement to have  LLVM 3.6 installed, not
LLVM 3.5 which is in the Debian repository, and not LLVM 3.7 which is
the latest release at llvm.org.  Fortunately, a prebuilt LLVM 3.6 is
available at llvm.org.

Also I needed to install this lot from the Debian repository:

python-pip python-setuptools build-essential
python-enum34 libedit-dev python-dev