Refactoring in a large code base

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 08:58:05 EST 2016

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 7:13:49 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Rustom Mody :
>
> > IOW anyone who thinks that *arbitrary* complexity can *always* be
> > tamed either has a visa to utopia or needs to re-evaluate (or get) a
> > CS degree
>
> Not all complexity can be tamed, but what you can't tame you shouldn't
> release, either.

And how do you propose to legislate that?
If you leave it to the wetware (untamed!) boxes atop our shoulders will not
two developers have wildly different complexity thresholds?

And as soon as you suggest an objective (∴ algorithmic) solution to detecting
complexity you have landed with the halting problem (or more precisely Rice theorem)

tl;dr The HP is amazingly deceptive and you just got tripped by it