Installing on linux - missing devel packages

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Jan 21 09:25:21 EST 2016

On 2016-01-21, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Frank Millman <frank at chagford.com> wrote:
>> Fedora 22 comes standard with Python 3.4.2. I want to install 3.5.1.
>>
>> It is easy enough to download the source and run ./configure;make;make
>> altinstall. But then I find that I cannot import gzip because zlib-devel is
>> missing. I fix that, then I find that sqlite-devel is missing.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to find out all the missing components, so that when
>> the installation is complete I can be sure I have the entire standard lib?
>
> This is a Linux packaging question, more than a Python one. On Debian
> systems, the way to do that is "apt-get build-dep python3"; check your
> own package manager for an equivalent - it'll probably be called
> builddep or similar.

Similarly on Gentoo, one does "emerge python:3.5" to build whatever
the "current" python 3.5 version is (including any dependancies) or
"emerge =python-3.5.1-r2" if you want a specific version.

One would hope the Fedora would be able to do something similar.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! The FALAFEL SANDWICH
                                  at               lands on my HEAD and I