Powerful perl paradigm I don't find in python

Wolfgang Maier wolfgang.maier at biologie.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Jan 18 08:33:45 EST 2016

On 1/18/2016 14:05, Charles T. Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 14:20:17 +0100, Wolfgang Maier wrote:
>
>> pattern = pattern_str.compile()
>> try:
>>       matches = pattern.findall(some_str, endpos=some_str.index(tail))
>> except ValueError:
>>       # do something if tail is not found
>>       pass
>
> Oh!  I think that's it!
>

> matches = findall (pattern, string)
> for file in matches:
>      use (file)
>
> Totally cool!  Thank you.

Great if it helps you. Just beware that this simplified version is not
exactly equivalent to your initial perl snippet:

Generally, findall will find ALL occurrences of pattern, not just
adjacent ones.

Since your perl example would never terminate if something non-matching
is interleaved with pattern matches I figured you never expect that case.

---