Stop writing Python 4 incompatible code

Christopher Reimer christopher_reimer at icloud.com
Sat Jan 16 23:51:47 EST 2016

On 1/15/2016 10:09 AM, Bernardo Sulzbach wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 3:02 PM, William Ray Wing <wrw at mac.com> wrote:
>> What Micro$oft was actually sued for was worse.  They would approach a small company: “We like your product/technology, we think we are interested in buying you out, but we want to see your code to be sure it is modular/well-documented/etc.”  Then, after looking over the code: “Well, it actually doesn’t fit our plans.  Sorry.”  Six months or so later, essentially identical stuff would turn up in a Micro$soft product.
>>
> More out of curiosity than anything else, do you have a source?

I thought I replied to this a few days ago from my iPhone but I haven't
seen my response show up on the list. My apologies if this becomes a dupe.

My favorite book is "Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure" by Jerry
Kaplan. He developed the first pen-based computer in the late 1980's
that became the precursor for PDA's in the 1990's. After showing off the
prototype to Apple, IBM and Microsoft, they all screwed him over by
developing competing products within a few years. Microsoft was able to
bring in an engineer to examine the electronic schematics and source
code, decline any interest in the product, and form a development team
for a pen-based Windows version. The venture capitalists squeezed the
founders out and dismantled the company.

Although out of print for a good many years, the book is now available
as an ebook.

Chris R.