print size limit

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Jan 16 17:01:49 EST 2016

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 12:48 am, gliesian66 at gmail.com wrote:

> I'm doing a format conversion and all works fine until I add another 100
> characters...

And then what happens?

How many characters do you convert before that point?

What does this "format conversion" do?

> haven't determined exactly where the breaking point is...

That's okay, you've determined where it is, plus or minus 50 characters. You
know that everything is fine up to some mystery N characters, then you add
100 characters and something mysterious happens, so the breaking point has
to be in the range N+1 to N+100.

> but the initial conversion gets truncated and then fixes itself a little
> while in.

Huh? How can it fix itself? What do you mean "gets truncated"? I would start
by looking at the code of this "format conversion" and see what it does.

> Is there a limit on the print statement or the print statement
> nested in a for loop?

What does the print statement got to do with this? Above, you say that the
problem is the mystery "format conversion".

Perhaps if you show us some working code that demonstrates the problem,
instead of talking in vague generalities, we might be able to suggest a
solution.

--
Steven