Stop writing Python 4 incompatible code

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 14:26:36 EST 2016

On 01/16/2016 11:00 AM, William Ray Wing wrote:
> It was known at the time. It was certainly known by the companies
> that were ripped off, but they were typically small to really small
> and couldn’t get traction for their stories in a press that was in
> thrall to Microsoft.  It was pretty much only mentioned by contrarian
> writers like Cringely, and for the most part was lost in the noise
> over the browser war.

Stac, the company who Microsoft ripped off to make DoubleSpace, did
successfully sue MS and won (fairly big time).  MS ended up paying them
a fair sum of money in damages.  But it was too late by then. Stac's
original product, and MS DoubleSpace, was no longer really in demand  as
hard drive prices fell and speeds increased.  Stac moved onto reinvent
itself a few times, probably saved by the money MS gave them for
damages.  Eventually though Stac became Previo, and then disappeared for
good, selling its assets to Altirius. I am not sure Stac's destiny would
have changed had MS not ripped them off, though.