Stop writing Python 4 incompatible code

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Jan 13 20:02:59 EST 2016

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 11:40 am, Bernardo Sulzbach wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:10 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
> wrote:
>>  (...) 4.0 (assuming there is one)
>
> Isn't it just a matter of time? Do you think it is even possible not
> to have Python 4 eventually?

3.9 is probably five or six years away. Perhaps more. A lot can happen in
five years. Just ask Syria.

Maybe Guido will change his mind and we'll have 3.10. 3.11, 3.12, ...

Maybe there will be a sudden and rapid collapse in popularity of Python
between 3.7 and 3.8, and the language is mostly abandoned.

Maybe by the time we approach 3.9, our new xenophobic and fascist overlords
will roll back the internet and ban all that "communist" open source
software, especially those written by foreigners (Dutch or otherwise --
Ruby will be banned too).

Or we're too busy dealing with rising sea levels, crop failures, antibiotic
resistant diseases, chaotic mass migrations, terrorists, wars for control
over resources like water, and the collapse of the corporate state to care
about such little things as upgrades to programming languages.

Or the AI singularity arrives and "human programmer" becomes as obsolete
as "flint knapper".

Or we'll be hit by a big rock from space.

Who knows?

--
Steven